Mechanisms engineers face significant challenges during launch and whilst in orbit. The attention to detail and ability to ensure that what is delivered would operate for potentially 15 years with no maintenance and 100% reliability whilst providing low cost innovative solutions that are designed for manufacture (DFM) makes every day an exciting challenge. our client has developed numerous Space Mechanism products and variants, and is now faced with the challenge of upcoming satellite missions, where they have to manufacture and test a high number of mechanisms in a short space of time. To do this, a step change in reducing manufacturing schedules and reduced reoccurring costs of flight mechanisms is needed. Our client needs to manage and update not only its existing product lines (evolution) but will also be required to develop new mechanisms at the forefront (revolution).
Role to include, but not limited to:
- Design and analysis of new or evolution of existing mechanism products including working with other areas of the business for system trade-offs.
- Design for manufacture (DFM)
- Hands-on engineering including development and flight build, testing and spacecraft integration
- Managing multiple tasks and work packages in parallel with changeable priorities
- Interfacing with internal and external customers including presentations, technical reviews, meetings
Authoring technical documents (e.g. design reports, procedures, test reports)
- A minimum of one to two years demonstrated experience in industry of mechanical, machine and or mechanism design.
- Mechanical design experience including: stress-critical components; precision tolerance analysis; drafting; materials awareness; and fabrication/manufacture methods appreciation
- Awareness and understanding of the use of electronics and software/firmware in an engineering environment and demonstrated ability to help electronics/software engineers test and debug is an advantage.
- MEng or BEng or equivalent in engineering
- An appreciation of Design for Manufacture (DFM)
- Self-motivated, creative, high attention to detail and accountable
- Practical ability
- Ability to work autonomously or within project team(s) and a real company player
- Strong communication within company and outside to customers and suppliers
- Ability to work under pressure in an organised manner: positive and persistent attitude
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Knowledge of components (e.g. bearings, actuators, transmissions, feedback devices)
- Use of CAD and FEA software knowledge preferable with design/idealisation intent
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.)
- Able to demonstrate company mindsets; accountability, one team, customers and projects rule and audacity