Mechanical Engineering Tasks
- Working within the Opto-Mechanical design team and with optical, electronic and Systems Engineers to develop working designs for optical systems.
- Opto-mechanical system design from initial concept to detailed final design using 3D modelling tools.
- Complete manufacturing drawings to enable the designs to be manufactured
- Undertake integration of the mechanical components in the clean rooms, support optical and environmental testing.
- Maintain a design log, summarising each step in the design, development & test process.
- Undertake thermal, static and dynamic structural analysis of components and at system level in collaboration with the Senior Mechanical Analyst.
- Analyse optical element surface deflections and provide feedback to optical design engineers.
- Management of Work Packages
- Plan test campaigns, conduct / manage tests, analyse and present results
- Detailed project planning
- Support manufacturing activities
- Develop the Bill of Materials to allow the MRP system to reflect the completed instrument
Skills & Experience
Demonstrate experience of the design, build and test of opto-mechanical systems, preferably as applied to space optical payloads.
Relevant experience in some or all of the following areas is essential:
- Mounting optical components, lenses, mirrors, prisms, filters, detectors etc, kinematic mounting principles
- Materials and manufacturing processes
- Precision engineering in harsh environments
- Mechanical design using 3D CAD
- Integration and test
- FE analysis
- Report writing
- Costing and subcontracting
- Customer liaison
- Operation in a quality assured environment
- Experience of mechanical testing
- A good degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Competent user of FEA package such as Solidworks Simulation or ANSYS Workbench or similar
- Competent use of CAD (SolidWorks or Similar)
- Knowledge of drawing practice to BS8888
- A good understanding of the principles and practices of FEA
- Confidence to solve stress, kinematics, vibration and thermal analysis problems from first principles and the ability to grasp new technical concepts quickly.
- Competence in structural design and analysis
- Competent in MS Office suite
- High attention to detail is paramount to ensuring that the finished sub-systems will function as designed
- Proven effective communication with project managers and customers
- Flexible; able to work on a variety of projects
- Good management, people and presentation skills
- Good team working skills and communication